Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Krakow: Weekend

We spent the weekend in Krakow and I fell in love with the city. It was just enough city for my taste without being too crowded, while having a bunch of history. On Saturday we visited the Jewish Quarters which were right next to our hostel and were where a bunch of bars and restaurants were. Then we took a short walk to the jewish museum where there was a display of pictures of before, during, and after the war in Poland. Some of the pictures were very powerful. One of them that stuck out the most was the one of all the young people walking through Auschwitz during the present time, carrying flags and showing respect. The caption said something along the lines of we must educate the younger generation of the holocaust. Then we walked over to Schindler's Factory, but it was closed. Then we were set free for the rest of the day. All of us went to the main square for lunch and for a little shopping. I went to lunch with Travis, Julie, Ali, Sarah, Steph, and Kait for some homemade perogi's. We stopped at a small little restaurant and they were delicious. My perogi's were filled with potatoes, onions, and cabbage. Very good. Then we stopped in a little Polish pottery shop where we all fell in love. All the handmade cups, bowls, plates, etc were beautiful. I think we spent an our in there deciding what we wanted and just admiring the artwork. Then we went for a little dessert at a cupcake bakery. The best cupcakes I've ever had. I got a peanut butter and chocolate one and Ali got a vanilla pistachio and we each split ours and shared. So worth it. Then we headed back to the hostel for a little nap before dinner. Then I went to dinner with Travis, Julie, and Steph at Alchemia. I highly recommend the bar/restaurant. It was dim and lit with candle light and felt like we were inside some creepy abandoned house. It was also packed. I would definitely go back there again. Martin also joined us there which was a nice surprise. It's always nice to get to pick his brain. He is one of the most intelligent people I've ever met and so easy to talk to. Then it was off to bed for me.

                                                                           Perogi's
                                                                    Cupcakes

Sunday we toured the castle and the dungeon. I honestly would say something more, but I am all museumed (if that's a word) out. The castle was filled with old swords and cannons and it was very interesting, but I seemed to breeze through the exhibit. The dungeon was a lot smaller than I thought, which was disappointing. I thought it was going to be some super big underground jail, but no. It was just an underground cave. Either way, I'm still glad I toured the castle and dungeon. Afterwards, a group of us ate at an outdoor festival. We had some street food and then headed back into the main square for some more cupcakes, couldn't resist. We also went to a two story chocolate factory. We were able to sample some chocolate and then a few of us bought some. It was very good chocolate and I'm pretty sure I was on a sugar high for about two hours afterwards. Then we shopped around a bit, but Abby and I decided to head back to the hostel because it was freezing. The beginning of May and we were all wearing our coats and scarves. So disappointing. But then we all kept it pretty simple for the night mainly in preparation for Auschwitz the next day. Ali, Jess, Tara, Abby, and I went to a vegetarian restaurant for dinner. It might have been the best one yet. It also amazes me that at each of these restaurants I've never had the same meal. Then we headed back and everyone went to bed fairly early.
                                                           Vegetarian Restaurant
                                                                Chocolate Factory
                                                                          Castle
                                                             Krakow Main Square

No comments:

Post a Comment